Make the Most of the Season with These Summer Safety Tips
When you venture outside of your apartment this summer, do you stop to think about summer safety?
If not, you might be playing a dangerous game with your health. After all, this year has seen record-breaking heat – and we still have plenty of summer left!
So don’t take your health for granted. Stay safe this season with the following summer safety tips!
Protect Your Skin
- Use a “broad-spectrum” SPF 16 or higher sunscreen.
- Wear a wide brim hat, and opaque clothing.
- Use sunglasses with UV protection.
- Limit sun exposure between 10am and 4pm when UV rays are strongest.
- Drink water at least every 20 minutes when outside on hot and humid days.
- Drink water before, during, and after any form of exercise.
- Avoid alcohol the day before or the day of intense exercise, and never exercise with a hangover!
- Eat plenty of foods with potassium, sodium, protein, carbs, and calories to help with your loss of fluid – especially during activities like hiking.
Play it Safe
- Treat fireworks with extreme caution.
- Make sure surfaces you come into contact with are cool enough to be comfortable.
- Recreational vehicles (ATVs, four-wheelers, boats, jet skis, and even bikes and skateboards) should be used with extreme caution. Wear a helmet!
- If you stop sweating or have any other signs of heatstroke – fast heart rate, confusion, fatigue, or dizziness – go back to your apartment to cool off and take a long break.
Avoid the Bugs
- Wear clothing that covers your skin.
- Apply insect repellant containing DEET to clothing, shoes, and exposed skin.
- If you get bitten, use ice to reduce pain, itching, and swelling.
- If a rash, fever, headache, or fatigue develops, call your doctor.
That all sounds simple enough, doesn’t it?
We’re sure that if you follow all of these tips, you’ll have a successfully satisfying summer season!